Do I need a carpet cleaning solution to clean carpets?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is the right place to ask - but I'm pretty sure one of you guys will have an answer

I've purchased a Vax carpet cleaner

Question: do I HAVE to use 'carpet cleaning' solution?

How much better would this be than say fairy liquid?

I assume there MUST be some sort of difference - maybe the chemicals used are specifically for removing dirt from carpet fabric or something?

The thing is, carpet cleaning solutions cost a lot of money - even on eBay

If, it's advised to use a carpet cleaning solutions: where's the best place to buy from?

Thanks!

OM

Sponsored Links
M8 does carpet cleaning, swears by using DAZ washing up powder :D

awesome
does he do carpet cleaning professionally?
washing up powder or do u mean liquid??

just spotted a good price on vax cleaner for 5 packs at £20 - but i'd rather just go out and buy just one daz :)

thanks

Yeah he has one of those big machines.
Uses a cup of powder in the water tank.
He did my mothers house and my grandmothers, stunning results. Just shows how much dirt dogs drag in lol.

• Thanks
Reactions: OM2
Sponsored Links
awesome. thanks. i'm convinced now.
won't bother buying the vax special washing thing now.
given u a thanks on the forum :)

Now you post! Just after I hired a Rug Doctor from Homebase at about £20 for the hire and £11 for the special cleaner :mad:

:D

Did a nice job though, I have to say. I also used it on what me and my girlfriend call the Quick Come Coutch, (don't ask) :D

It came up like a treat. (the coutch that is). I don't know why they have a different fluid specifically for furniture because it worked just fine.

Let us know how you get on with the Daz, presumably any Daz-like product will do?

M8 said he had tried a few and that was what he felt was the best.

Probably a bit late but if you use anything other than Vax cleaning solution it will void your guarantee!
Having said that you can't use anything that foams (ie fairy liquid) - hence I guess washing powder being good -that's low foaming.
(Know this cos my daughter split bubble bath on the carpet ...it was a nightmare - couldn't get rid of it! - just filled the dirty water tank with foam until it cut out - even months after I couldn't clean that bit of the carpet! in the end I literally poured water on it (knew not above any electric fittings ) and sucked that up and even that foamed like hell - carpet now replaced anyway - thank god!)
I found buying the vax detergent stuff directly from them - in bulk to save postage - worked out cheaper than ebay -but that was a few years ago - (I did do bulk! and don't wash carpets very often -still have some)
Also I read somewhere you should rinse with clean plain water after washing to rinse out the detergent -otherwise it leaves a sticky residue which attracts more dirt...trying this I found just water brings up a heck of a lot of dirt - don't bother with detergent sometimes...

I used Cif to do a little mat after running out of Rug Doctor solution on the main carpet...and it came up much cleaner. Not sure how it would fair on every type of carpet though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back