do I need a corgi or National Grid or both ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our gas meter was orig in a lean to brick built 'thing' on the side of the house. The 'thing' was demolished and a proper single storey extension built which was bigger. The meter is now about 1foot into the room and the pipe to the adjacent boiler ( in corner on orig outside wall of house )is also 1 foot off the wall!.
I would like the 22mm pipe from the boiler to the flexible steel pipe on the meter repositioning against the new wall in clips. Assuming the flexible pipe is still flexible , the 22mm could be cut off at the boiler, the flexi bent so the copper goes in clips on the wall then reconnected at the boiler with three elbows and a bit of extra 22mm. The meter connectio would not need to be touched.

I rang National Grid who say it'll be a min of £400 and would give a quote once they've seen it. So, could I get a corgi to do it cheaper ? Once done I plan to build a cupboard around the meter.

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

2 points :

1st, I may be wrong but I am pretty sure all meter cupboard should have been sited outside of the new extension in a wall sunken cabinet.

2nd, You will need to use National Grid unless you can find a CORGI who have the proper quilfication, which is MET1 I believe.

Rico

Even though the extension was built around 10yr ago ? it was also inspected and passed by the building inspector who surely must have noticed the meter and pipe away from the wall ?

So if I ring around I just need to ask if they have MET1 ?

Pete

just get a local corgi reg guy round and get a couple of quotes.

Sponsored Links
Just out of interest, why have you waited 10 years to worry about the pipe being 1 foot from the wall???

i don't think any gas supplier would do this job for you as they don't normally get involved in internal pipework as they then need to check the appliances etc, you will need a RGI, i know he should have MET1, but if the anaconda(flexi) can be bent back into place without damage then the pipework alterations can be carried out by anyone with CCN1 (the basic qual) although to test your appliances etc he must have relevant quals depending on your appliances,

Re: why have we waited 10yr: each yr the guy we get in to service the boiler puts on the comments section of the receipt that the pipe needs protecting, this yr my wife saw the receipt.............. The room is tiny and used for storage at one end and the tumble drier at the other. The pipe isn't likely to get disturbed but the bee now is well and truely in her bonnet!

Re: assuming the anaconda can be bent: do they get brittle with age ? if it breaks would a corgi eng be able to replace it ?

BTW anyone on here who is qualified and works nr Rawtenstall ( East Lancs ) ?

Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back