Do I need a door cill??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Just been taking apart my old front door......basically im trying to measure things up so I can order a rockdoor soon. I realise now why my door is draughty.....there are unfilled gaps in the existing door frame. Will have to fill with newspaper for the time being to keep the missus happy.

Anyway ....as the door is in an alcove the way I see it is that the new door will need to be installed from the inside to out so the frame pushes against the concrete render on the alcove......does that make sense?? Would that be OK??

Also would I need to order a cill at all? There does appear to be a cill in place (see photos) So I assume I will need another 150mm cill?

Thanks for any advice!

One last query what are the masonry screws called to install UVPC???

Thanks again

Door_zpsdzfwrg3q.jpg
[/URL] [/IMG]

Sponsored Links
Frame fixings.

What a shoddy job the old one is.

You can use expanding foam to fill the wall:frame gap, then hide it with trim, but it is very very very sticky and expands a lot, so mask up the floor, wall and frame with clingfilm, tape and newspaper, about ten times as far as you think necessary. It holds the frame in position and stops it rattling too, so don't do it with your old frame, it will mean more work to remove it.

Have you considered a wooden door and frame instead of plastic?

You'd getaway without to be honest but make sure that without one the composite door slab still has clearance to the floor, cills are 30mm thick FYI!

Foaming the new frame in is a must but it will bow the frame inwards a few mm so before you do any foaming cut some scrap timber and wedge it inside the frame jambs in 2 places to stop it bowing in

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses - as there is a cill there already (I think thats a cill anyway with the door frame sitting on top pretty much at finished floor level) I will probably get a cill. The problem I have at the mo is that I cant measure the brick to brick height without taking out the door and cill to measure for sure (unless they are all 30mm)I dont want to get the measurements wrong before ordering.

I haven't considered anything but a composite to be honest

It is a shoddy job for sure. It was here when we moved in and look 30years old now.....be glad to get it out and do myself.....Ive read up on what packers and stuff I need and the foam too

A rockdoor installer pretty much wanted £800 to install the door which has forced me to try and do this myself.......I know they have to make a living but thats too rich for me

Thanks guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back