Do I need a flange?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I recently installed a Salamander pump to feed my shower. I pretty much followed all the instructions to a tee, but have not bothered installing a flange.

I was wondering, since the pump is only feeding the shower and not the whole flat, do I still need the flange installed?

What happens if I don\\\'t install a flange? :s

Thanks for any help!!

Sponsored Links
You run the risk that
a) it won't work
b) you damage the pump

Thanks ChrisR,

It was actually working great until today - the hot water suddenly lost pressure, so I am assuming it was due to the flange as this affects the hot water (right?).

Can you explain exactly what task a flange is meant to perform? Am I right in guessing its like when you let water flow out of a water bottle, it can be speeded up made to flow much quicker if a hole is put into the top of the bottle.

Thanks guys.

Revelation said:
Am I right in guessing its like when you let water flow out of a water bottle, it can be speeded up made to flow much quicker if a hole is put into the top of the bottle.
No.

Sponsored Links
One risk is that you suck air down the vent pipe. Then you don't get hot water, and the pump overheats and leaks thereafter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back