Do I need a Guttering Deflector

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So a few months ago I got a new roof. The roof itself is fine and so is the new guttering except in one place.

IMAG0467.jpg

The picture above is the parapet between our roof and our neighbours. Now for some reason there is an immense amount of run-off from the roof between with two sets of guttering (theirs and ours). Now I don' think its overshooting as there is no issue of runoff except where the two sets of guttering meet.

I have been thinking if I can get some type of deflector/diverter which channels the run-away from the parapet, preferably one on each side, then that would reduce the amount of rain that might run to where the two gutters meet.

From the picture is there maybe something I am missing? Or can anyone recommend any other fixes. Its not a major problem but I would love to get the women next door off my back. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Their is a gap behind the gutter which should have a lead apron dressed between the wall and into the gutter.

Their is a gap behind the gutter which should have a lead apron dressed between the wall and into the gutter.

Is that on the near side of the parapet or the far side? I don't see a gap on the side of the new roofing (near side).

Behind the neighbours gutter! by rights the gutter should terminate in the middle of the parapet.

Sponsored Links
Behind the neighbours gutter! by rights the gutter should terminate in the middle of the parapet.

For some reason I think that is where we are having problems. I will need to take a look to see if that is where the run-off is coming from.

Is there a convention among roofers/guttering installers about how to install guttering that is going to abut another gutter system? I have to admit its only become a problem when the new guttering and roof were installed and the guttering is fine on my side of the house.

Its a bit of a problem as the other side had their roof redone and there wasn't a problem with the meeting point even though they had new guttering put on as well.

1. What exactly is the reported problem?

2. Are the gutters at different levels?

3. The "lower" gutter appears to be 1/2 full of debris and water - either the falls are wrong or the outlet(s) is blocked.

4. Do you have a "secret" gutter or soakers? And what are the triangular pieces, and how are they fixed?

5. Is the flashing grooved into the parapet face?

6. If the scaff is still up why not water test and observe, and take a few more pics of the front elevation details and the neighbour's side?

7. No underfelt is visible over either gutter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back