Do I need a lintel over the kitchen window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

It was suggested I post this in here. Hope this is the correct location.

Following on from a leak in the bathroom (over kitchen) I was in the process of stripping off the decor in the kitchen around the window and noticed it has a wooden lintel (approx 3x3) on the inside but only a strip of what looks like pine over the uPVC window frame on the outside.

There are cracks (possibly where the plaster has blown) in the plaster on the inside but no sign of any cracking on the outside.

The bricks on the outside are layed in a kind of camber soldier course.
I've included a few photos if that helps.

What are the rules/regs regarding this, what are the mays and musts? Should I get it looked at and a propper lintel installed?

If it is advised I want it done before i get the room rebonded and skimmed (obviously).

Advice appreciated
Si

Attachments

• P1030648.JPG
    P1030648.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 171
  • P1030652.JPG
    P1030652.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 144
  • P1030655.JPG
    P1030655.JPG
    230.2 KB · Views: 144
Sponsored Links
If the timber is sound it can stay in. Plaster board or mesh over the lintel and adjacent wall will prevent any shrinkage cracks in the plaster instead of just bond and skim.

The arch is holding up the bricks outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back