Do I need a Lintel??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My builder has knocked a doorway from the side of the house into a new garage hes built. I noticed there was no lintel above the new doorway and he said it doesn't need one as the wooden frame acts as one (the wooden door surround etc).

This doesn't sound correct to me but Im not a builder. Can anyone confirm?

Sponsored Links
Was the wall an external wall or is it load baring?
If so he's talking ******, it needs a lintel.

It is the external wall. Is this very dodgy? How can I convince him he's talking rubbish? Obviously I want it done right before he disappears

There's too much weight for there not to be a lintel.

Was there nothing in the plans/regs stating the use of a lintel? If there was/is point this out or talk to building control/inspector.

Sponsored Links
There was no plans. He said it doesn't need planning permission.

Can I still get buildings regs out to inspect his work?

I'll add some pictures when I get home. He's knocked the old detached garage down and built a new smaller one on the side of the house. He's knocked a doorway through from the hall to the new garage.

Lintel needed, absolutely no question about it, do not accept any BS from your builder.

As well as the poor structural support which a door frame would give, there is also the fire issue to consider;
any structural element (such as a beam and posts) is required to have 30 minutes fire resistance.

Does anyone know a good builder in the Stockport area? I want to get someone out to finish the job properly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back