do i need a new boiler???!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Vokera 20/80 RS boiler - not sure how old, as I've only lived in this house a few months. The radiators heat up ok but I've got worsening problems with the hot water. To get any hot water in the bath or sink I have to turn the taps right down to a dribble, but it only runs hot (though it is very hot) for about 2-3 minutes, then it runs cold again for serveral minutes. The shower is bettter - I can get hot water when it's on ful blast, but only for a couple of minutes before it runs cold.
Also, the water pressure dial on the boiler keeps rising - I've been told it should be set to about 1 - 1.5, but it gradually rises to over 3 so about twice a week i have to turn the pressure release valve to bring it down. I don't have the heating on at the minute, but when I do put it on the radaitors heat up fine. The problems with water temp and pressure don't seem to be affected by having the heating on or off. These problems have got worse over the past 2-3 months. I also have a bit of water leakage from the pipework at the bottom of the boiler, and apparently (according to BG) it's not earthed to modern spec.

I've had british gas round, who said I need a new boiler & recommended a RD628 - apparently a Worcester one only sold by BG. The cost of installing this is £2,200.
I've got someone else booked in for a second opinion/quote - I know nothing about boilers - does it sound like my boiler's dead?? Is the price of £2,200 reasonable (small 2 bed semi, 2 people) or can you suggest what sort of questions i should be asking?
thanks, Kat.

Sponsored Links
One of the best boilers from this maker.

I will stress that this boiler will outlast most boilers (Worcester as well- have had bad experiences with last Worcester I installed) if it is cared for.

Problems you have cann all be solved.

I suspect your boiler will be 20 80 RS Turbo or 20 RS Flowmatic.

Where do you stay? Might be able to give guidance to one of the regular CORGI engineers on this forum to assist him to repair your boiler.

Thanks for the reply DP.

It's a vokera flowmatic - it's a relief you say it should be fixable!
I'm in Stockport - if you can recommend any one in this area I'd be grateful.

Contact me at the email for remote faulting.
Unless someone (CORGI registered) who visits this forum can come to your aid, go to CORGI website and look for an installer under Boilers subsection in your postcode area.

Sponsored Links
This boiler is quite old - I'd guess at least 10 years.
From your description, the hot water flow switch / diaphragm needs replacing - cost £100+ - and / or the secondary heat exchanger is clogged (more cost).

If the valve on the 'filling loop' is closed (as it must be!), the gradually rising pressure in the boiler primary circuit is a major worry - water has to be getting in there from the mains somehow, or the expansion vessel on the back of the boiler has failed. Does the pressure rise when the boiler gets hot? or increase whether hot water is used or not?

Looks like at least two and probably three major components need repair / replacement. With a boiler of that age, best advice is probably cut your losses and get a new one.

Do concur with previous poster in that the boiler is around 10 years old.

But have to disagree that the boiler needs to be replaced. Regularly overhaul these boilers to give them a new lease of life. I feel this boiler once overhauled will more than likely outlast a modern boiler. Replacement parts are a lot cheaper as well.

Do remember a new boiler will require the system to be chemically cleansed, controls upgraded.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back