Do I need a new fuse box?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've taken a few snaps of my fusebox, and wondered if someone could say whether in needs to be updated.

I think the fuses are of the older style, and the wire out of the top appears to be sheathed with lead?

FB1.jpg

FB2.jpg

I'm a bit confused as I seem to have two fuses for the same wire. Is one like a backup or something?

FB3.jpg

FB4.jpg

Thanks.

;)

Sponsored Links
That is ancient! - it is a double pole fusebox, which must be replaced for safety reasons, if the neutral fuse blew, it leaves the circuit in a dangerous state as it will not work, but will remain live!
:( :

I've taken a few snaps of my fusebox, and wondered if someone could say whether in needs to be updated.
No - it's a sound as a bell - they built them to last in those days. Take a wire brush to all the rust, then paint it with aluminium paint - it'll look good.

You should fill in that chunk missing from the cable sheath with Polyfilla, smooth it off and paint it to match the wall.

I'm a bit confused as I seem to have two fuses for the same wire. Is one like a backup or something?
That does not comply with today's standards. You should remove the fuse in the neutral and only have one in the live, but as you're coming down from 2 fuses to one you should use fusewire which is twice as thick.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I was thinking about using hammerite, but aluminium would look good too.

Do they make special polyfilla for cable, or will common or garden stuff be ok?

Do I just put thicker wire in the first fuse, and leave the second fuse out all together?

Thanks for your help. I'm rubbish at electrics

Do they make special polyfilla for cable, or will common or garden stuff be ok?
You do need special electrical Polyfilla. All electrical wholesalers stock it (you won't find it in B&Q etc though), but they try to keep it just for professional electrician use, but that has been ruled illegal under European law, so if they try to tell you they don't have any, or that there is no such thing, stand firm and demand that they sell you a box. You may need to threaten them with calling the Police.

Do I just put thicker wire in the first fuse, and leave the second fuse out all together?
You have to replace the second one with a non-fuse link to join the wires on that side.

These are known as Solid High Integrity Transfer links, and again you can get one at the wholesalers, together with a warning label to stick on the fuse carrier to say that such a link has been fitted.

Try not to get any knots in it though.
Lumpy Lektrik can be unstable.

a 3" cast Iron Drainpipe might be a good substitue for a N link, they don`t blow that often, but even if they do someone might be aware of it.

This reply was created purely by recycled electrons.

1.8 Polar bears have been saved

This reply was created purely by recycled electrons.

Indeed, the last time any new electrons were created was in 1976. The electricity industry is one big con to sell you the same electricity over and over again. Because as quick as you recieve it down the live, they take it back for recycling on the neutral!

I'm really not sure these threads are a good idea on forums like this. This forum is passed through by many people who are not experianced with electricity and may take threads like this seriously.

We use to have one similar to that, nominally rated at 90A (According to the cast iron case),

It had three lengths of 30A fuse wire in each fuse carrier!

Took it out in 1991!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back