Do I need building regs approval for a porch with planning permission?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been told I have to apply for planning permission to build a porch outside my front door as it will extend beyond the side of the original house. That's fine with me. Having done this, do I have to get building regs approval from the council's building inspector during the build?

Sponsored Links
No; presumably your porch is less than 30 sq m. in floor area, in which case it is exempt.

Incidentally, I believe your LPA is incorrect in advising that the porch would need planning permission by virtue of the fact that it extends beyond the side of the original house.
In the permitted development rules, an enlargement of the house comes under class A, whereas a porch comes under its' own class D.
In class A, there are certain criteria which would take a proposed extension out of permitted development (such as extending beyond the side elevation etc), but these restrictions do not apply to class D, which only limits floor area, maximum height, and minimum distance to the highway.

Thanks, that's very interesting, especially re pard D of PD rules. The planning officer said we could extend to the side, and do a loft conversion under PD. But we would have to apply for PP to add external insulation and build the porch. I'll look into Pt D and may just go ahead.

Sponsored Links
Just noticed the issue of external wall insulation.
The government's Technical Guidance on permitted development matters makes it clear that planning permission is not required for EWI, unless the house is listed, or in a conservation area etc.
Does your LPA pay peanuts for wages, because they appear to be employing monkeys.

Last edited:
Just noticed the issue of external wall insulation.
The government's Technical Guidance on permitted development matters makes it clear that planning permission is not required for EWI, unless the house is listed, or in a conservation area etc.
Does your LPA pay peanuts for wages, because they appear to be employing monkies.

Hmm. The district planning officer said EWI only needs PP if there is a change of external apperance, e.g. changing from brick to render. She said if we had brick slips or a brick effect render finish, we'd be OK. If we want plain render then we'd need PP. She also stopped us doing a couple of other things under PP that the builder thought was a bit harsh.

Are you in a conservation area, is it a listed building, or similar?

Are you in a conservation area, is it a listed building, or similar?

No. It is an estate of 1930s semis in a suburb of a city. Probably one in five houses in the area have already been rendered. Based on that, the planning officer said she could see no reason why we wouldn't get PP.

Interesting post, I've just done EWI on my partners property, and the building control officer (who oversaw the stove installation) said that we didn't need permission for the EWI work. The top half of the property was pebbledash, and the lower half bricks. Might be worth me quietly checking with the Planning office though.

I know what you mean, but it's okay, I'll give a false name and address. On the other hand, I haven't admitted to the altered drainage, the electrics, the changes to the bathroom, nor the chimney breast I've taken down whilst I'm reinstalling the kitchen or her. You're right, best to ignore all of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back