Do i need planning permission for this new entrance to my house from main road?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking to create a new entrance to my house. It's from my front garden but would constitute a new entrance. I'm not planning on dropping the curb and i don't think i need permission but as its a £5k + job i thought prudent to check.

We have a 1.5meter high wall along the pavement as our property is 1.5m above the road level.

I want to dig out approx 6 meter width and move the wall back away 2m from the pavement creating a 12meter square graveled (porous) area for bins etc, (digging out 6x 2m x 1.5 = 18cubic meters).

Then from that have two 1.75meter wide walls and a 2.5 meter wide entrance/slope (adding up to the 6m dug out) up to the house with a 1m wide block paved path in the centre of the 2.5 meter wide slope. (i don't plan on exceeding the 5metersquare non porous path rule) and will likely use the garden behind as a soak away or porous materials for the path any way

I can't see anywhere that says i should have planning permission for this, but as we're digging out such a large section and it's a new entrance to the highway i thought some advice would be needed!

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Because the new wall is adjacent to a highway and over 1M I think you do need planning. You may be ok, because you are setting back 2M, but highways will need to confirm.

Is the kerb dropped already? If not you will need to.

The excavations proposed probably do require planning permission so I would apply for the lot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back