Do i need planning permission

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have got planning permission to convert a terrace house into a pair of flats. within the plans there is a small ground floor extension to the back of the house for a new bathroom. On starting the work I asked the building inspector if we could extend the extension to cover all of the back wall. He said he had no problems with this but to check with the planning department. They have told me that if it is a house I don't need planning permission but if it is a flat I do and recommend that I put in a pre planning application. As I have just started the work, is it classed as a house or a flat

Sponsored Links
We know you've started work on something, but maybe we don't know what. Maybe you've instead started work on an extension, instead of a conversion!

In my eyes it is still a house ie there is only one front door and you can still get up stairs internally from the ground floor but because I have started the work to convert it to flats will the planning dept class it as a house or flats

Your approved planning drawings do not show the extension do they? So how can you think it will be acceptable?

Sponsored Links
because if it is less than 3 metres out from the building you don't require planning permission

Yes but your approved existing plan will not reflect the actual pre-conversion approval will it? You know you're pulling a fast one, that's why you're here asking for clarification.

I am looking for clarification to hopefully save myself time and money as councils will not answer your queries unless you fill out a form pay approx. £100 and wait 20 days. I am not as you state trying to pull a fast one

I think your council would take a view on it, I suspect they will ask you to submit a planning application but I can't say for sure. In retrospect what you should have done was build the extension to the house under PD, then applied for PP to convert. If you build the full width extension and convert to the two the flats then you open yourself up to enforcement though if it went any further no one can say. If you were my client and I could not get anything out of the planners I'm afraid I'd be recommending you cough up for advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back