Do I need these walls/ceiling skimmed before painting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Can someone give me some advice as to whether these walls and ceiling need skimming/plastering before painting please?

wall5k.jpg

wall4x.jpg

wall3kv.jpg

wall2i.jpg

wall1rg.jpg

wall6lp.jpg

The walls seem ok, pretty solid and mostly quite smooth, not as smooth as fresh plaster but ok-ish. There are some cracks as you can see but can these be filled then sanded smooth and then painted? There are also some chased walls where the electrics have been altered but these have been filled, so again, can i just sand down and paint?

The ceiling is lathe and plaster but are flat and in pretty good condition even though there are some cracks. I guess I probably won't get away with painting over this and will need scrimming and skimming before painting?

Sponsored Links
IMO it would be better to give it a skim, by the time you have gone round filling etc you would save time and get a better finish when painted.

Skimming would obviously give a better result but would it be possible to get a half decent finish by painting directly onto it and save over £200 at the same time?

Sponsored Links
Well if your not too fussy about it being perfect and would like to save money i would scrape any loose paint/paper etc off the walls, then fill any cracks or holes with easyfill then sand down the whole wall when dry, then paint. Again, it wont be perfect but would save you the cost of skimming.

If you get a good decorator yes, but he or you will be "skimming" over it all with filler, as there is so many little dips, dimples, cracks etc. I bet your looking at 3 -4 days of filling sanding, re filling sanding, mist coat, re filling bits that stand out now, then painting. If the fillers deep it takes forever to dry.

Its your money, but i would have it plastered, then you know it will fine for painting. If its a days work, then itll cost you about £150, but if its 2 days £250-£300.

And peace of mind thats you can change the decor by just painting from them on.

brad

Thanks guys.

Time's not a problem. Money is! :)

I was quoted £240 to do the whole thing including ceilings!

I think I might give it a go at filling and sanding, there's no deep cracks so I'm hoping it's OK.

Can I do the same thing with the ceilings though?

Thanks guys.

Time's not a problem. Money is! :)

I was quoted £240 to do the whole thing including ceilings!

I think I might give it a go at filling and sanding, there's no deep cracks so I'm hoping it's OK.

Can I do the same thing with the ceilings though?

yeah, shouldnt be a problem

if you start pushing on it when sanding, and it moves a lot, then give up and get it plastered, if it dont move youll be fine

Sorry, one more thing (for now :D)

What is the best way to prime these type of walls/ceiling for painting?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back