Do I need to change the whole heating system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a typical 70s style 4 bed detached house with a warm air system (Johnson & Starley J55-65). Every year BG service the system and give us a notice saying that the system is not compliant with current regulations - this is because the return air flow is now undersized (it measures 14" x 9" and should apparently be larger?) - there is nothing we can do about this as the return air flow is built in to the house.

Does this mean that we can never replace the boiler with a new one because a new installation would have to be carried out in accordance to current regulations??? BG have suggested that a wet system with modern boiler would be more efficient that the warm air system but I cannot see how radiators and water running everywhere would be better. However, if we cannot ever change the warm air boiler then maybe we will have to change. An estate agent friend of mine also said that we should change to a more modern system if we ever wanted to sell the house.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Normally BG just want to sell you a system at vastly inflated prices and normally I would say don't fall for their ploy. However most of the rest of the country has got rid of their warm air systems because they are crap.
I respect your wish to run the old system into the ground even though I think its totally naff.
While this duct may be the wrong size by current standards it has been there for 35 years and never been a problem. So long as the system is properly maintained it shouldn't be a problem, but for peace of mind a CO detector or two could be fitted.
Sooner or later you will have to move with the times

Hi and thanks for your advice. My question is really related to current regulations and whether a new boiler could be fitted to a return air duct that does not meet current regulations.

You say that hot air is crap - our old house had a traditional wet system and this house has warm air - I know that people have different views regarding warm air and I can only comment on my experience rather than technical skills. I have found the warm air system to be so much better than our previous wet system. The old system needed radiators bleeding, the pump failed, the valve failed, the boiler became noisy and needed flushing. We have never had a problem with the warm air system - it is half the price to maintain with BG, it heats the house very quickly from cold, there is no water to leak, no radiators taking up wall space, etc. However, I do accept that vents in the upstairs ceilings are not so good, the air intake is a little noisy when it starts and the lack of control over water / heating times is inconvenient.

I am currently trying to decide whether to keep the warm air or to replace with wet system - there just seems so much to go wrong with wet system.

why don't you get in touch with J&S to see what they have to say about new warm air heaters, I personally dont believe anything BG tell me, most of there service personel probably have never seen a warm air unit

Sponsored Links
Talk to J&S, they are a very good company to deal with , there warm air heaters are very reliable , you will never get that type of reliability with a wet system type boiler , irrespective of make . If it ain't , broke dont fix it !

Also worth pointing out that it wouldn't be all that difficult to replace a warm air unit with an air to air heat pump - this would be particularly advantageous in that it would be able to provide cooling in the summer. There's also non of the inherent risks that come with poorly maintained warm air systems, i.e. carbon monoxide escaping into the house.

Johnson and Starley are a good firm to deal with. They have a department who will advise you on which units can directly replace your old one. As to the BG guys never having worked on warm air, I can only say that in my area there are a lot of units both old and new, so there are plenty to work on. I appreciate that isn't the case in a lot of the country. I personally love warm air heating, but it is vital that it is maintained properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back