Do I need to put red primer on Steel Beams?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm buying some beams for internal attic, floor joist support.

The company changes extra for Red Primer.
Do I need it?
What does it do?

I searched on here and found "BTW, red oxide is not a coating to prevent corrosion. It is a primer only, and rust will get through it if not subsequently painted"

If the above is true, what is the red primer really for in my situation?
What would I need to stop corrosion (if this will be a problem)?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
bare steel goes rusty very fast, so I would always paint it. You can get metal preservative primers, I think the one I use is a Dulux product, and grey. The primer needs to be applied very thoroughly, and there may be scale or grease on the steel that must be cleaned off. If the steel supplier includes cleaning and pickling in their priming price, it might be worthwhile. You would have to patch up chips and scratches anyway though.

Yes paint it coz if you don't 600 years later it may fail.

We always have ours painted a rather nice grey.

Sponsored Links
In a heated building and assuming no condensation issue, there would be no need to coat the steel with anything.
Yes, it will rust and eventually fail, but your grand children won't live to see it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back