Do I need to seal cleaned concrete tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I jet washed a portion of my concrete tiled roof to get rid of some moss and lichen a few months back. fed up with people saying when are you going to do the rest of the roof I have now reluctantly cleaned the rest of the roof with a jet washer.

I know that companies who do this sort of thing professionally always add a sealent. Is it important to seal the tiles after cleaning or is it just an added precaution. I was thinking of getting some sealant from Wickes a bit like Thomson water seal that is used on porous brickwork/concrete. Would this be OK or is it just a waste of time.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that, most helpful. As I've already wasted my time should I waste some more time and seal the tiles.

depends upon how aggressively you jet washed the tiles, and whether they are clay or concrete.

if you held the jet close there's a chance you may have etched the surface, making the tiles even rougher still. in this case it would be wise to paint them with something.

if they were attracting moss and the like then they're most likely conc's.

Sponsored Links
I just wrote a massive reply only to press the sumbit button and get a mutherfruking page not displayed error :evil:

There is no way i'm writing it all again so, in a nutshell, don't worry about sealing the roof.

Mw Roofline said:
I just wrote a massive reply only to press the sumbit button and get a mutherfruking page not displayed error :evil:

There is no way i'm writing it all again so, in a nutshell, don't worry about sealing the roof.

image.php

Mw Roofline said:

:LOL: :LOL: leave it (roof) alone no treatment is needed ;)

Hi,

I jet washed a portion of my concrete tiled roof to get rid of some moss and lichen a few months back. fed up with people saying when are you going to do the rest of the roof I have now reluctantly cleaned the rest of the roof with a jet washer.

I know that companies who do this sort of thing professionally always add a sealent. Is it important to seal the tiles after cleaning or is it just an added precaution. I was thinking of getting some sealant from Wickes a bit like Thomson water seal that is used on porous brickwork/concrete. Would this be OK or is it just a waste of time.

dont worry, do you realy think they add anything to the water they use to jet wash your roof.

as pro roof cleaners we always recommend sealing them with a waterproof, breathable coating like - - - - - - - - - - - acylic.
For those that say its a waste... don't listen, probably a roofer.
Never leave a well washed roof... you have just cleaned off the final surface and made them more porous. If u have a moss problem, it will be back within 18 mths - 2 years. Roof's can be dangerous Get a pro in or buy the coating and hire an airless sprayer. 2 coats will do. quite expensive stuff but still cheaper than a new roof. lifespan 15-20 yrs extra on your roof if done right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back