Do I need to underpin a 200 year old stone barn?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm guessing that the answer will be to appoint a structural engineer.

However we have the opportunity of converting an early 19th century stone barn.

There is no evidence that the barn has moved in its history and re load bearing the walls are picking up the roof and first floor. There is no floor covering to the first floor however, a-frames sit on the walls with joists into the gable ends and mid support wall (internally).

I'm wondering whether with flooring and all furniture, fixtures and equipment if this additional load will need to be supported by underpinning?

Also, a friend has informed me that the normal process for barn conversions would be to build block walls internally within the skin/envelope of the existing stone walls - I'm wondering why after damp proofing and insulating you can't simply board out the stonewalls internally.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Building an internal load bearing skin benefits the walls, floors and roof in that you have a level and upright secure structure to work upon whilst being able to hide all the (cavity) insulation.

Downside is you lose some space, upside is a building that actually works.

As for underpinning the existing - will you need do dig down and remove floor material in order to refurbish the floors? If so this could have the effect of destablilising the walls, hence the need for underpin etc. If it was your intention to build an inner skin then the underpin and the internal wall foundation could be done in one hit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back