Do I really need a new boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again. I posted on here a few days ago about my gas Vaillant combi boiler which decided to pack up on Sunday. I have since called an engineer out to take a look at it and he's advised me that I need a new expansion vessel. Because the boiler is 14 years old, he has said that I'd be better off buying a new boiler altogether rather than pay out £475 (his quote) on installing the new vessel. Since I am hoping to move house within the next year I don't want to splash out on a new boiler unless I really have to. What d'you reckon?

Sponsored Links
get another quote, and ask him to fit a remote vessel, at least half the price.

You'd be MUCH better off just sending me a cheque for £1000 and have done with it.

Did he look like this
large-smiley-051.gif

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your help everyone. The expansion vessel has a leak and won't hold pressure for more than ten minutes so apparently replacement or a new boiler are the only options. Unfortunately it seems as though getting either job done is going to take a couple of weeks - without heating or hot water, brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Is 14 years really the limit for most gas combis? Another engineer told me the same story over the phone.

with14 yrs service its certainly been a good one

ALL boilers can be repaired if you have enough time and cash to do it

My tuppence worth is pop a new one in, it will be a bit pricey now as with your procrastinating you have now entered the BUILDING REG ZONE TUMTUM TUUUUUUUUUUUM so unless you scoreover a 1000 points on chubbys (the deputy prime minister) website you will have to fit a high efficient one.

It's a Vaillant gas fuelled, fan-assisted combi, cat: VCW GB 242 EH (GC No. 4704413).

LouW said:
It's a Vaillant gas fuelled, fan-assisted combi, cat: VCW GB 242 EH (GC No. 4704413).

god help the fitter who has to get that monster off the wall....they don't make em like that any more :)

Thanks, Muckylugs, but I'm not qualified to make a repair of that size, even at the princely sum of £17! Since the "monster"s gotta come off the wall anyway I'm gonna get a Bosch Greenstar shoved in and have done with it. No bath/no heating: too awful to go on with any longer!

I would certainly not be thinking of a new boiler. The VCW will outlast a modern boiler (I am sure) if it is serviced properly. A service will certainly take longer than 30 minutes. VCW is well made, has titanium main heat exchanger and all working parts are made of plated brass. Earlier model (T3) can still be seen chugging away at 25 years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back