Do these velux windows & tiling look right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am after some opinions-hopefully from some experienced roofers or builders on here. We have had a rear extension built and three velux windows just fitted. The tiles either side are riding up at the edge and the flashing kit shows around the edge, ie the tiles are butting up to the window. We've had some heavy rain over the last few days and no obvious leaks inside but its not yet plastered so I can't be sure. Also note from the pictures there is a soil pipe at the back to be finished so we know this part is to be completed, also do you notice some gaps in the tile overlaps - should these be so?

Any advice or help welcome before I confront the builders!

Thank you

Attachments

• Build32.jpg
    Build32.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1,372
  • Build31.jpg
    Build31.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 1,223
  • Build30.jpg
    Build30.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 1,239
Sponsored Links
If you want a better finish then you would be better employing a roofer.
I would say that's about average for a builder.

The builder did get a tiler in for the day to finish off the tiles as he admitted this type of velux was new to him - is it normal for them to turn up slightly at the edge where they sit on the flashing? I'm worried it will leak post plaster - thank you.

Yes it is normal. There are ways to mitigate or lessen, but it is not unusual to see a wee bit of kick.
There is less kick on say plain tile Velux flashings.

Sponsored Links
What about the few gaps in the tiles, where they seem to be missing an interlocking section? Would this be a problem? Thanks!

What about the few gaps in the tiles, where they seem to be missing an interlocking section? Would this be a problem? Thanks!
If the tile gutter is broken and broken beyond the headlap of the tile below, then yes it could be a problem.

OP,

1. There are two fins that run vertical at the flashing gutters either side of the Velux frame.
The interlocking tiles are supposed to butt up to the fins and stop there leaving the gutters clear.
Your tiles appear to have ridden up on top of the fins. If this is the case its incorrect.
However, i dont know if the recommended flashing kit has been installed.

2. The tiles are flat interlocking tiles: they have an overlapping groove and an underlapping tongue where the two tiles interlock for correct installation.
In your case, the tongues of various tiles appear to have been removed. Why this would be done i dont know?

3. Before roofing work started, the soil pipe should have been taken out from where it pierces the main roof and "forty fived" past the eaves.
This would have saved on potential future maintenance/leaks.

Last edited:
Thanks all, I appreciate the feedback.
1.Yes I know what you mean re the channels running down the side. These are clear I believe, I will take another photo from the top when its daylight to show how they look from the top!
2. And yes, you are right in that some tiles do not have the overlap into the tongue. I will ask the builder why this is the case.
3. The plumber couldn't get to start the work on the soil pipe as we are moving all pipes inside next week. I am hoping they will just finish the tile here and flash as the left and right side are.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back