Do these vents need blocking up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a 1957 Council built bungalow with cavity walls and solid concrete floors. My one has 12 air vents along the front and two sides (none at the back) and I think they are not required. The cavities were filled with mineral wool fibre in the 1980s. These vents only go to the cavity - no underfloor ventilation, as solid. Having had a snoop around my neighbour's properties (unmodified), the houses only seemed to have one high level vent for the larder in the kitchen. One corner of our house has got a 9" square high and low level vents and two feet around the corner there is another 9" square low level vent there are also two more 9" X 3" low level vents within four feet.
On the modern extensions there are no air vents at all.
I don't know what people were thinking off when installed this lot but I think they all need blocking up.
Frank

Sponsored Links
I know what they were thinking - The houses were for the Great Unwashed - one had to get some fresh air to these plebs somehow :mrgreen: And ventilated cavity was a bona fide building technique @ the time . The 9x9`s should be lined across the cavity to provide air to the rooms - Maybe block those , leave the small ones that fed the cavity , they won`t hurt and the fill won`t get wet through them unless you get a flood higher than their level . Now wait for the Condensation Brigade to tell you I`m wrong ( they will). IF YOU HAVE A GAS FIRE/ BOILER you must get a Gas Safe engineer to advise :!: before you block any vent to rooms they are in :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back