Do walls need to be bone dry to plaster over?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im having a room replastered on monday, but cant get the radiators off til Sunday as having a powerflush done on the system on Saturday, so will have the rads off Sunday morning, and be steaming off the last bits of paper on Sunday. Will it matter to the plasterer, or not an issue?

Sorry for the back to basics question
Cheers guys

Sponsored Links
Using a steamer on walls a day before they are to be skimmed is not a problem at all, even using it the same day it is skimmed. The plasterer will wet the walls with pva before he skims them anyway.
Walls that have a "damp problem" though, are a different kettle of fish.

Last edited:
Don't overdo using a steamer. If it's a solid wall/s and you keep the steamer in one place, too long, it can often loosen the top coat of plaster/finish. Not a problem on plasterboard.

Thanks roughcaster, you say dont worry about length of time of a steamer on plasterboard, I'd of thought you had to be more careful on PB, incase the 'paper' layer gets soggy? (excuse my ignorance). Ive got 1 plasterboard wall to strip lining paper off, and been advised either to overboard the wall, or pull the plasterboard down (its a stud partition wall seperating 2 rooms) and re board it

Sponsored Links
First off make sure you sugar soap all the wallpaper paste off the wall before its plastered ,second if the plasterboard wall was not primed with a sealer before wallpapering its going to be hard to get the paper off without damaging the wall, you may as well try and take the paper off first and see what your left with, BTW if there is damage it's not the end if the world I once prepped and skimmed a hospital room that had that vinyl coating ripped off of all the boards every board and wall was damaged

It's always advisable to keep a steam stripper on the move anyway. On plasterboard, i've never had a problem at all, by just giving each wall enough steam to make the wallpaper scrape off. On solid walls, if you overdo the steamer, you can loosen whole areas of old finishing plaster, you see it on here quite often. The secret is to keep the steamer on the move. To be honest, I've never heard of anyone replacing whole plasterboard walls, just to get rid of the old wallpaper, rather than use a steamer,, seems a very expensive way to do it, unless there is a real problem.

Re sugarsoap, you will probably need to do it more than once. Iy may feel ok at the time but when its dried out you can feel the greasy surface if all the paste isn't gone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back