Do you have to have a main stop cock for water inside house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Many thanks for your comments in advance.

Is there a requirement by building regulations that you have to have a stop cock for the mains water inside your house?

I have never had this in my house.

At present there is a stop cock in the pavement outside my house which feeds me and my neighbour.

In addition to this each of us has our own stop cock directly outside the back of our houses under an easily accessible manhole.

I am doing a bit of renovation works to my house at present, would you recommend that I install an additional stop cock at the point the mains water comes into the house?

If I did this, I would need to install a stop cock behind the wall in the living room of my house as this is where the mains water enters my house.

It is not a very practical place to install a stop cock.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
There is no requirement for the water supplier to place a stopcock in the street so its common sense to have one on your property quite apart from complying with water regulations!

Inside is convenient but not essential.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back