do you need to sand new plaster before painting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had newly plastered walls about 4 weeks ago. Do i need to sand the walls before painting?

Sponsored Links
no, if its been pastered well and has a smotth finish, then you dont need to sand it, its just a diy myth!! causes more trouble than it pretentds to solve! but make you sure you mist-coat it first!! this is just your normal matt paint with about 30% water in it for the first coat only. this allows the plaster to take in the moisture and prevents the other coats from peeling off.

Keith.

Yes you need to abrade the skim before application, it is the smooth and often shiny appearance that can cause a lack of penetration regarding future coats of paint.

Lightly abrade and dust off before painting.

Dec.

My younger brother is a plasterer. Once on site a painter p***ed him off big time. Next day he spent hours trowelling up the top coat of plaster in the house he knew this painter was going to be doing. (He'd had a word with the site foreman who was up for the craic).

Painter had to spend a whole morning just sanding down the walls.
;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
no, if its been pastered well and has a smotth finish, then you dont need to sand it, its just a diy myth!! causes more trouble than it pretentds to solve! but make you sure you mist-coat it first!! this is just your normal matt paint with about 30% water in it for the first coat only. this allows the plaster to take in the moisture and prevents the other coats from peeling off.

I'm with you on this m8...
Mistcoated miles of bare plaster in my time, just a scrape and light sand on obviously shiny patches. But never did sand all those miles ... :LOL:

Sorry to piggy back this thread but just had a 1mx1m part of wall re plastered. I'm lining and painting. Could I size the new plaster a few times to seal it instead of using thinned emulsion??

If like you say your lining over etc , just a light scrape of any nips here and there ,a coat of your paste out of bucket ,have a quick brew then paper ,thats it job done ! sanding large areas of fresh plaster is not recommended !!

I always sand new plaster with 180g on a sander connected to a dust extractor.

i find it quicker/cleaner than using a heavily thinned mist coat. It also has the advantage of dusting off any crap left by other trades.

I then apply my 10% dilute.

Horses for courses I guess

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back