Dodgy 13A socket location?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter is in the process of having a new kitchen installed. The electrics were done by an (allegedly) qualified electrician. I notice that he has put a double 13 amp socket in a horizontal position, set into the tilework of the windowsill, just a few inches from the hob surface. I can't quite believe that this is in compliance with the electricity regs, bearing in mind that it is horizontal and any spillage from the hob would go directly into the socket :!: :!: :!: Not only that, but any condensation from the adjacent window could also end up in the socket....
Are the regulations concerning mains socket location in kitchens anywhere on this site?

Sponsored Links
I don't know - I don't recall having seen anything quite like it. Don't work surface sockets tend to be mounted in an angled unit of some sort?

General opinion (Building Regs) says 300mm from edge of hob or sink unit.

The regs themselves are very sketchy on where sockets should be located, save to say that their environment should be taken into consideration when deciding upon a suitable location.

This has clearly not happened in this case.

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
General opinion (Building Regs) says 300mm from edge of hob or sink unit.

The regs themselves are very sketchy on where sockets should be located, save to say that their environment should be taken into consideration when deciding upon a suitable location.

Thanks - I haven't measured it but would say it's closer than 300mm. But what about the fact that it's flush with a horizontal surface? Is that permissible?

By that I mean that the plane of the socket itself is horizontal, rather than vertical :confused:

securespark said:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back