Dodgy Plumbing???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved in to my home and noticed that the copper pipe work going to my radiators is 10mm. I have done a foundation course in plumbing and i was taught that with a combi system all the pipe work should be 15mm, yet the central heating is 10mm and the pipwork to my bath is 22mm, is this shoddy plumbing or quite normal? Should i change the 10mm to 15mm as the 10mm bends and in areas has kinks in it. I am going to change the bath in the near future, should i change the 22mm to 15mm? It may be a bone question but i have never seen 10mm copper pipe anywhere. Thank you

Sponsored Links
10mm to radiators is fine, how basic was this plumbing course you did?

Microbore pipes are common place and most newbuilds are piped that way now.

which pipes are 22mm to the bath? Hot, cold or both?

10mm is quite prevalent on older systems, and some guys still use it today. Tends to sludge up faster but if correctly installed and maintained it should perform well. The fact it's a combi is irrelevant. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. Same goes for the bath, technically this should be 15mm but 22mm won't hurt if that's what's there now.

Thanks. The 22mm goes to both hot and cold on the bath, when cold is on hot nearly stops. I am keen to change to 15mm, is this a good move?
I did a 5 day course which gave me some good hands on and theory but i know my limitations!!

Sponsored Links
with plumbing you dont have to be qualified to do it in your own house you just gotta know what your doing.

You just cant touch gas ;)

Thanks. The 22mm goes to both hot and cold on the bath, when cold is on hot nearly stops. I am keen to change to 15mm, is this a good move?
I did a 5 day course which gave me some good hands on and theory but i know my limitations!!

Don't waste your time or money, it wont make that much difference, is your stop tap fully open ?

THis the joys of having a combi.the flow rate will be shared between both taps,and from the sound of it you have terrible flow rate in your place but then they should have taught you on the 5 day wonder course how to check this

5 day course is just about long enough to get the student to write his/her name :LOL:

I've just completed a 42year plumbing course and i've not finished learning :LOL: 5 days isn't long enough to learn how to mop up properly :LOL:

5 day course is just about long enough to get the student to write his/her name
Thats not fair - I recon I could manage my address as well in that time.

I've just completed a 42year plumbing course and i've not finished learning :LOL: 5 days isn't long enough to learn how to mop up properly :LOL:

I spent 50 years before I gave up trying :cool:

I will say for the record, its what made it so interesting for all those years.

Being in the middle of nowhere with a problem, and trying to beat the brain cell into submission to find an answer. brilliant wouldn't have changed it for anything. :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back