Does 3-way valve orientation make a difference?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My valve is the opposite way around to most diagrams with A feeding the hot water and B feeding the central heating. The valve actuator is the right way around so I figure it makes no difference but just checking first.
IMG_20161213_185109.jpg

Sponsored Links
With power to the valve off the boiler heats hot water and with the valve manually activated it does water and central heating. The only other position is just central heating or neither and I'm sure neither would have damaged the pump by now.

Really??
Who mentioned the pump (circulator)??
So why not orientate the valve???
What is the purpose of your post???

Sponsored Links
Probably put the actuator on the wrong way round to make it work in a fashion, you can do it on these valves as they operate a cam type internal which turns 360

My valve is the opposite way around to most diagrams with A feeding the hot water and B feeding the central heating. The valve actuator is the right way around so I figure it makes no difference but just checking first.
why do you think it says B for hot water and A for heating ??????????

I think you will find on this valve it is possible to rotate the shoe through 180o. This would make it possible to work with the head reversed. To check, remove the actuator and check the position of the stem.

I can confirm it makes no difference. I have an old 'port' which I took apart and checked. The port is totally symmetrical except for the labels and port A is identical to port B. My actuator is pointing correctly and the key on the stem fits into the actuator (not the port) so the system works as it should.

(image TL: stem partially removed showing that the ports are closed by two sprung 'caps' - you can see rotating the shoe 180 would have no effect)
(image TR: springs removed so you can see the stem detail)
(image BL: view through stem port showing identical ports to A and B)
(image BR: image through port A showing narrowing where 'cap' closes port)

3-way.jpg

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back