Does an old Baxi 38 boiler contain asbestos?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Please can a knowledgeable person tell me if the Baxi WM 38 boiler is known to contain asbestos insulation boards inside?

I am in the middle if having it upgraded and have had the new boiler moved to a new location.

The Baxi shell is still iin place awaiting removal from the wall but I have noticed it has 3 softish boards inside now the innards of the boiler have been removed.

I have attached 2 photos if it helps. tmp_26326-20150701_125845-709740941.jpg tmp_26326-20150701_125854171037622.jpg

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for both of the links. I can't find the Baxi WM38/3 RS boiler on any of the links so hopefully all is good. It just struck me as odd having soft white fibrous (could press in and crumble with finger) boards in place, as per the photos. I believe the boiler was released around 1986 according to a scanned servicing/ installation manual i found online which is after they stopped using asbestos in boilers (so i read).
Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
I think you're seeing the same insulating material that's used in modern boilers; it's a bit like plasterboard. Better safe than sorry though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back