Does coppaslip cause pads to stick ?

Wondering if that was made by Rocol, nick.....produced for the offshore oil industry its a bit above us mere mortals!
John :)

Sponsored Links
All sorts of wonderful stuff available in industry.
Rocol stuff is good but not cheap!

I got a limitless supply from a local power station when I was placed there for engineering study...it was the C.E.G.B. then.
A typical phrase....
'Whey aye, geordie....hoo much dae yer want?'
God bless the nationalised industry :mrgreen:

Wondering if that was made by Rocol, nick.....produced for the offshore oil industry its a bit above us mere mortals!

Could well have been.....have lost the tube so can't check. I didn't see it on my travels offshore either, would have recognised the packet and some may have accidentally found its way into my PPE bag ;)

Use rocol stuff for greasing gas taps now but its messy stuff and dries out too easily.

Sponsored Links
There's lots of argument online for and against using it, on the grounds of it altering bolt torques. I read somewhere that these copper based greases are designed not to lubricate too much and so don't effect torque that much. How true that is I don't know. I suppose you could also make the argument that torque values are with new, clean components, so if you (re)use a bolt with a rusty thread that might give an undertightened bolt.
Some makers apparently recommend the use of copaslip on wheel bolts (which seems to be the biggest bone of contention), and some others have apparently recommended it in amendments to service sheets.
As with a lot of things like this it seems to me that either way is wrong! :)
Yes, it definitely reduces friction, leading to a greater tension in the fastener than the designer intended. Also, yes to the fact that the tightening torques are determined using new, shiny, plated components, so once rusty, the quoted values give a lower clamping force anyway. I have ONCE stripped a generously Copperslipped, brand new bolt, but it was a fine threaded one. Also, I was doing it up to the top of the quoted range of permissible torques. Normally, I don't torque bolts unless they're clamping a gasket. Increasingly, these days, manufacturers are just quoting a low "seating torque", plus a number of degrees rotation of the fastener head to get round the problem.

There's lots of argument online for and against using it, on the grounds of it altering bolt torques. I read somewhere that these copper based greases are designed not to lubricate too much and so don't effect torque that much. How true that is I don't know. I suppose you could also make the argument that torque values are with new, clean components, so if you (re)use a bolt with a rusty thread that might give an undertightened bolt.
Some makers apparently recommend the use of copaslip on wheel bolts (which seems to be the biggest bone of contention), and some others have apparently recommended it in amendments to service sheets.
As with a lot of things like this it seems to me that either way is wrong! :)
Yes, it definitely reduces friction, leading to a greater tension in the fastener than the designer intended. Also, yes to the fact that the tightening torques are determined using new, shiny, plated components, so once rusty, the quoted values give a lower clamping force anyway. I have ONCE stripped a generously Copperslipped, brand new bolt, but it was a fine threaded one. Also, I was doing it up to the top of the quoted range of permissible torques. Normally, I don't torque bolts unless they're clamping a gasket. Increasingly, these days, manufacturers are just quoting a low "seating torque", plus a number of degrees rotation of the fastener head to get round the problem.

Agreed that it lubricates, but my point was how much it's actually designed to lubricate. I've known that it has some lubricating effect for 40 years, since I too stripped a small fine threaded stud after using it. I was looking online about it some twelve months ago when I had a couple of tyres changed, and the chap warned me about it being on the wheel bolts. I hadn't used it there. the car having been serviced by the dealer up until that time. For anyone looking for the same I couldn't find any real answer beyond what I said above. Some for, some against.

Its occurred to me that when you replace eye mounted shock absorbers, you should be applying rubber grease rather than copaslip slip when assembling so not to rot the rubber.

I apply grease to the bolt assemblies to stop the bolt threads from rusting.

Back