Does copper pipe have any value ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Don't know if it's an urban myth but i heard copper pipe was worth a bit of money in decent quantities - is this true ?

I have about 20m in length that I removed from an old tank in the loft....is this likely to be worth anything ?

Sponsored Links
copper is worth money yes. i've never just took in 60ft so don't know what you'll get.

just make sure they're not waiting at the gate for you or your fine will be bigger than what you'll get for the copper

Sponsored Links
Cut all the soldered joints off and weigh the rest in as clean copper. :idea:

copper is copper, whether its old pipe or electrical conductor. its the weight which counts

check at local scrappies for price per kg and weigh your pipe.....A local scrappie to me is paying £4.25 per KG

might be copper but if its left with fittings on etc you'll only get the rate for mixed.

i'm about to find this

big-cylinder.jpg

is it worth anything
ok-wink.gif

Not really mate. If you ask me nicely, I'll get rid of it for you, but only because it is you.

I had a good one a while back.

Changing a big cylinder in a large country house and rubbing my hands at the beer money coming from the old cylinder.

When I'd finished, couldn't find the cylinder. Thought the ****** must have had it. Turns out the old dear had bundled it into the back of her jag and whisked it off to the scrappers herself and all while the new cylinder was going in. No wonder she was rich. She then had the cheek to ask me how to get the black sludge stains off the seats. Served her right.

Soak it in hydrochloric acid overnight, and you won't find a stain in the upholstery.

On the subject of scrap copper, what exactly is 'clean copper'?

I take it that its pipe without soldered fittings, brass tap connectors etc.

What about the painted pipes? is that classed as 'clean copper' ??

On the subject of scrap copper, what exactly is 'clean copper'?

I take it that its pipe without soldered fittings, brass tap connectors etc.

What about the painted pipes? is that classed as 'clean copper' ??

I used to clean all fittings off my pipe, but as long as the brass is off our scrappie gives you £3/kg at the mo.

My local non-ferrous scrappie in Bristol (Habgoods) class copper pipe as clean, even if it has soldered fittings or paint on it.

Just make sure all brassware (inc. some olives) is removed. They will buy the brass too. Prices are good at the mo.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back