Does the stack flashing look ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This developed from another post in building but it is now more suitable in the roofing forum so would appreciate any input you guys may have.

I have suspected water ingress from the stack. I am trying to work out if it is sweating due to lack of ventilation or an actual water ingress from the stack at roof level.

At first I thought it was just lack of ventilation, but the damp caused in one room seemed get worse after a rain spell.

This has been an long term damp patch. I just removed a tonne of efflorescence from around the stack in the loft. Some of the battens around the stack and flashing felt a bit damp but the flashing itself looks good.

I did notice that some of the flashing on the underside of the tile bent down and away from the tile rather than being flat against the tile. Could this be directing water the wrong way?

There was also quite a bit of mortar on the lead shelf behind the stack. It is now clear as you can see but could this also have cause water to back up?

Anyway here are some pictures and a video of the other side.

chimney flashing-7.jpg chimney flashing-8.jpg

The video is a bit choppy in places.

Link removed - sorry - I have pop up blockers and the upload site came up as safe on WOT. Did not realise it brought up inappropriate sites.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It looks as though it needs repointing, and I can't see any DPC. The chimney looks as though it's been capped, and that means no ventilation, and in not being used, it'll never dry out. Water may be getting in under the flashing where it's lifted, but that'd depend more on the direction of the wind/rain.

Water penetration from flashing and from a flue, and condensation have different appearances.

Brushing on a load of liquid water-proofer to the brickwork and capping will be an easy good start at diagnosing, and or curing.

Sponsored Links
Thanks woody, capping it to vent it was my initial way to approach it. It was increase in damp after rainfall that confused me, then the feeling of damp in the batons around the stack. The fibreglass insulation around the stack seems dry so if it is a leak or water ingress, it is not obvious where it is coming from.

Here are some pictures from the stack on the other side, I could not post a video so I have converted them to images, hence the lower quality.

chimneyflash0090.jpg chimneyflash0342.jpg chimneyflash0797.jpg chimneyflash0852.jpg chimneyflash1309.jpg chimneyflash1333.jpg chimneyflash1670.jpg

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back