Does this conservatory need planning permission?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are about to buy a house that has had a conservatory added at the back, which is linked to the lounge by a knockout through the external wall (probably where there used to be a window or a patio door).

Could somebody tell me whether this kind of conservatory (4.4m x 2.65m) would have required planning permission and building consent (or inspection)?
We had a "full survey" done but the surveyor did not know much about this (or anything else it seems), so any help would be much appreciated.

I attach two photographs (1. conservatory and 2. lounge) and a floorplan.

Attachments

• gmgimage_263507823.jpg
    gmgimage_263507823.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 337
  • gmgimage_263507829.jpg
    gmgimage_263507829.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 357
  • CAnBrR_DFka_ypgDbLQNmw.jpg
    CAnBrR_DFka_ypgDbLQNmw.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 343
Sponsored Links
Probably wouldn't have needed planning permission (hard to tell from your plan); neither would it have needed a Building Regs application
(conservatories <30sq m are exempt) BUT, it should be separated from the house by a door, so as it is, it is non-compliant.The council won't do anything about it, though.
Your surveyor seems a bit thick.

Thanks a lot. If I was to put up a (double) internal panel-glazed door, would that make it compliant? Or does it have to be an external-grade door?

Has to be an external-grade door. The heating system should also be separate from the house system.

Sponsored Links
You can just buy it and leave it. But bear in mind that any future purchaser might not use a thick surveyor.

I know. The original plan was to put their a glazed double door anyway (not an external one though!), but I am worried about resaleability...

I remember that BCOs used to care about this stuff, but my impression was that they generally didn't any more.

Don't worry about it the worst that can happen is you might have to shell out £50 or so for an indemnity policy when you sell...

Your solicitor will probably bring this up during your purchase and should nobble the current owners for such a policy so all you will have to do when you sell is top it up for any difference in price between what you bought it for.

You can argue about indemnity policies (and time limits on enforcement activities) until you're blue in the face but the fact is most lenders will insist on a policy where there is any non-compliance regardless of when it dates back to.

You may want to put in a door though - it would help you regulate temperature in the rest of the house.

So, we have been told it is a "Permitted Development" and within the size permitted to be carried out within Buidling Regulation Approval.
Does this make sense? There is CH, and as I mentioned earlier, they removed the doors.

when was it built? it has to comply with the building control regs applicable at the time.

Motorbiking, thanks. Unfortunately I don't know when it was built, as there is no paperwork... It would have been before 2006 though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back