Door Bell Transformer

U

User

Hello, I need to replace a broken doorbell (broken during redecorating), it was connected using a Friedland D753 transformer

The current bell which is available in shops that matches closely with the broken bell is a Friedland D792, which requires a D743 transformer

Replacing the transformer would be extremely difficult it is buried somewhere deep under the floorboards

The difference between the required transformer and my currently installed transformer is that the required D792 has 0.5A output while my D753 transformer has 1A output, otherwise they are the same (8V AC)

So if both are 8V AC can I use the bell mentioned above?

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks :D

Sponsored Links
The existing transformer will be ok for the new bell but I have to question what it's doing under the floorboards in the first place? Such things should be easily accessible...

Excellent! Thanks for the super fast replies Robin and big-all excellent now I can order the bell today didn't expect that :D

Robin you're right the transformer should be accessible, it used to be hung on the wall but it looked ugly so I moved it under the floorboards :D it was so ugly looking on the wall but now the wall looks nice :D

Thanks guys :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Transformers can go faulty, they can over heat, they can get hot enough to start a fire. Is there much dust and other inflammable debris under your floor boards ?

Robin you're right the transformer should be accessible, it used to be hung on the wall but it looked ugly so I moved it under the floorboards :D it was so ugly looking on the wall but now the wall looks nice

You should of moved it somewhere else, not under the floorboards. It doesn't comply with the regs, and could be a fire hazard.

Hiya

bernardgreen there's not any inflammable debris under the floorboards no

Lectrician there wasn't anywhere else I could put it really without it being ugly looking

dannyboi2003 I made a note of the model number when I moved it under the floorboards

In retrospect I suppose it wasn't the best decision but there's many things in life to worry about and I would count this fire risk as being very tiny winy tiny but in retrospect you're all correct I should have kept it on the wall really hopefully someone else will read this and learn thanks guys :mrgreen:

Lectrician there wasn't anywhere else I could put it really without it being ugly looking

In a cupboard, next to the consumer unit, IN the consumer unit (different type), in the garage, in the airing cupboard, incorporated INTO a new bell, in a kitchen cabinet, on top of a kitchen cabinet, in the loft.

The transformer is a serviceable part and should remain accessible. It is against the regs to place it under the floorboards, especially so as you state "it's buried somewhere deep under the floor boards".

None of those things you mentioned were close by, there is a FCU just above the bell that feeds the transformer that makes it a little better I think, when the transformer dies one can just replace the 2.5mm to another and place that next to the FCU thereby complying with regs (which sometimes are akin to drug induced paranoia to the average person perhaps by that time regs will require all people to be wrapped in safety foam), it's not perfect I agree, but what is, thanks for your help :D

LABTYD. Buy one which looks nicer.

in retrospect you're all correct I should have kept it on the wall really hopefully someone else will read this and learn thanks guys :mrgreen:
You can move it.

The existing transformer will be ok for the new bell but I have to question what it's doing under the floorboards in the first place? Such things should be easily accessible...
blank65x10t.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif

Hi ban-all-sheds I appreciate your input hopefully someone will read this and learn that it is important to keep the transformer accessible :D

None of those things you mentioned were close by, there is a FCU just above the bell that feeds the transformer that makes it a little better I think, when the transformer dies one can just replace the 2.5mm to another and place that next to the FCU thereby complying with regs (which sometimes are akin to drug induced paranoia to the average person perhaps by that time regs will require all people to be wrapped in safety foam), it's not perfect I agree, but what is, thanks for your help :D

Your hoping that when it dies it doesn't do so in an overheating, smoking, burning down the house kind of way? Some people do bang on about the regs but putting the transformer under the floorboards is a bit dumb.

If it's easy to replace if it dies then why not disconnect it & abandon it now and fit a new one in a better location.

Rather than have a separate transformer taking up wall space I've fitted a din rail mouted one in the consumer unit this time. The cable to the bell is only bell wire & easy to run.

If putting the transformer under the floorboards is a bit dumb then I suppose I'm a bit dumb then.

I'll take the risk of the transformer exploding like a thermonuclear bomb and burning down the house killing me and my family horribly and the 2 houses on each side of mine I suspect I'll be dead from being hit by an asteroid by that time anyway

Apologies for any possible offense in the above reply

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back