door bell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Howdo!

I have a door bell by friedland which I opened today and popped some new batteries in it but for some reason it won't work.

I'm unsure of the model number but it says type 4 on it if that means anything.

Does anybody have any idea why it won't work? I've only been living here for a month so unsure if it working before I moved in.

I uploaded some photos.

Thanks!
Shaun

Sponsored Links
You can test the chime unit by a connecting terminals 1 and 2 using a short piece of wire, Just touch the ends onto the terminals. This is electrically the same as pushing the door bell.

If the chimes sound then the fault is in the bell push or the wires between them.

That type of bell pulls a fairly high current. Those batteries might not be up to the job. If you do the test of jumpering terminals 1 and 2 as suggested be aware that you will/should get a fairly juicy spark as you break the contact.

Hi Thanks for your replies! I have tried connecting terminals but nothing happens? Not even a spark.... Does it matter that I am using head phone wire? Just pulled them apart as I had no wire.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I forgot to add the batteries I used are the same as what was already in there and behind the batteries it says 1 1/2v which I assume means 1.5v which are the batteries I just put in. Thanks again

I would disconnect the cable from one of the terminals, and short terminal 1and 2 with a paper clip or similar. Headphone cable could be problematic as it is usually very fine copper entwined with braid.

Ha I'm useless me. Which cable should I disconnect though? And would I not receive a shock using paper clips? Electricity scares me....

No shock from those batteries. Either cable can be disconnected. It eliminates a short. Of course, if there was a short, the bell would twang once as the batteries were inserted, and the batteries would likely be dead by now.

That bell doesn't use a speaker.

It has a solenoid that uses a slug or "hammer" to strike one of the side plates when the bell push is pressed. The hammer has a return spring which causes it to hit the other side plate when the bell push is released. Ding then Dong

Both plates must be "wobbly on their rubber support grommets and the solenoid slug (the hammer) must be free to move

IF you are certain the batteries are good (you should use alkaline type rather than the ones shown) then try cleaning all the metal parts that the battery ends make contact with. Sometimes they build up corrosion which will prevent bell operation.

I can't believe I've just discovered what it was.... The bottom right battery wasn't actually connecting correctly as the metal contacts have these little nipples sticking out where the battery should make contact but they're stupidly placed so I've moved the battery so it's slanted and the same with the one above and it started working! Thanks for your help! It was checking the contacts as you suggested that made me see the problem. I was going to write it off as broke!

Thanks for your help! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back