Door closes by itself

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, we had a bunch of doors fitted all are fine besides for one which keeps closing itself and doesnt stay open.

Is there an easy fix for this?

It's a semi solid wooden door on hinges.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi skyhawker,

I'm a carpenter and hang doors all the time, and this is quite a common issue when hanging doors onto door linings that are out of square, and that are not plumb. Check which side of the frame the door is actually hung on with a 6ft spirit level and I expect you'll find that it isn't plumb, even being a little out, I.e slanted, can cause a door to swing more than it should. Not due to bad workmanship when hanging the doors, just the nature of the beast I'm afraid!
Hope this helps

Hi skyhawker,

I'm a carpenter and hang doors all the time and is quite a common issue when hanging doors onto door linings that are out of square, and that as not plumb. Check which side of the frame the door is actually hung on with a 6ft spirit level and I expect you'll find that it isn't plumb, even being a little out, I.e slanted, can cause a door to swing more than it should.
Thanks, is the best solution as above?

Sponsored Links
Yes adjusting the hinges can solve this problem, as long as the frame isn't drastically out it should work! Just be sure to adjust the hinges accordingly (either in or out) to the correct level. When you hold a level to the frame you should see what I mean

It worked for about a year ago & is still working.
I had 2 hinges & I bent both pins, simple job, do 1 pin at a time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back