Door contact for UPVC frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im about to have a composite door fitted in a UPVC frame,has any alarm engineers fitted a recessed contact in to a upvc frame as the firm fitting say you can not drill the frame which I find strange as they drill fixings in it.Im not keen on the flush contacts or is there another way of doing it.Any pointers please

Sponsored Links
Normally fit surface on PVC doors this will depend on door design most PVC/composite have a metal strip with the locking action on, you could fit a slim Jim contact in the top of the door depending on door profile.

Any negative reason why I cant do away with the door contact as I don't really want to screw them to a new door/frame and fit a pir in the small hallway and use as the entry exit

Not really but a door contact is better for two reasons, you may a panel with chime on it, lots of sneak thiefs around taking car keys, they will be in before the pir picks up. Just had a job where they had a break in, they didn't get the door fully open but they triggered the door contact ,the next door neighbour heard the alarm activate and chased them off!

Sponsored Links
Contact on front door and a PiR in the hall way is the correct way to go.

Unfortunately the fitting of the contact comes down to experience. Possible entry through windows. (It happens.)

Two points

The metal frame in a PVC door frame can divert the magnetic field away from the sensor if the sensor and /or magnet is close to the metal work. This can result in false "door open" events. A more powerful magnet is one solution.

In a wireless system having a PIR that reacts to the door and a contact on the door can result in two sensors transmitting at the same time and thus blocking each other. As result the panel will not be aware the door has been opened.

I have fitted recessed contacts ( the ones about 20mm with a rectangular plate & 2 screws) to all my new UPC doors, front side and two to the patio doors.

Took some drilling with the metal channel inside the doors & frame but Not had any issues with them at all.

I've done this to both my upvc doors.

Dismantle a normal surface mount contact and carefully solder two very thin wires onto the reed switch. I place this in one of the channels near the bottom of the door frame and drilled at an angle with a narrow drill so the wires appeared behind skirting.

Then get a strong Neodymium magnet and attach it the the door to mate with the reed switch. The magnet inside the surface mount will be too weak.

Cover the reed switch with some white silicone and it becomes invisible.[/i]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back