Door lining/casing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a stud wall to plaster, put in doors and linings and fit plaster boards over.

I am using standard 95mm x 45mm timber studding, I will put one layer of 12.5mm plaster board each side on one wall, and one wall with 12.5 plasterboard one side and 2x 12.5 boards the other.

I cant work out what is the correct casing depth to use:

95x12.5+12.5=120mm
and
95+12.5+12.5+12.5 = 132.50

My builders merchant only sells 115 and 140mm depth linings, am I meant to plane the 140mm down to fit ?

Sponsored Links
Since regularised (and slightly narrower) CLS timber has become the norm, we are now having to add more and more skim to the boards in order to meet the old sized casings.
You would have thought the casings would have been sorted by now!

Anyhoo, in your case their is no 'standard' size casing that involves multiple layers of plasterboard. Rather, you will either need to do as you say and use the nearest largest size available and plane it down or use ?" x 1" planed timber and make some linings and use slamming stops.

Or have some casings machined to suit.

Only downside with planing them yourself is accuracy and getting a nice finish. That said, the only visible part will be a tiny amount of edge showing where the archies are set back. I would use this method.

Thanks

Yes it seems odd you cant buy a casing/lining at the correct size, you can buy the doors in 101 different sizes !

I have found Travis Perkins sell a 125mm for the 1+1 wall, leaves 2.5mm each side for the skim.

The 140mm for 132.5mm leaves 3.75mm each side - which is perfect for the plaster skim.

Obviously the skim will more likely be about 6mm each side, but we can use the Architraves edge to skim up to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back