Door not fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’m in the midst of fitting a new conservatory. All going well up until the point that I’m trying to fit the door.
I added the glazing into the door, however it will not shut as the bolts are not clearing the locking mechanism.
The hinges themselves do not appear to have vertical adjustment. Right now I’m stuck for ideas.

The top bolt nearly clears but it gets worse as you get to the bottom.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers Andy.

(photos attached)

Sponsored Links
First things first - have you toe and heeled the glass when you fitted it into the door?

I have a look at the bottom of your hinges View media item 60928 you might find them adjustable, otherwise are the hinges the lift off style i.e. does the door lift off, leaving half the hinge on the door frame? ...pinenot

Yep did that, adding packing bottom side (hinges) and top side (lock). The door sits on pins so you can lift it off the hinges, tried adding washers to these pins which raised the door but knocked out the lock alignment even more

Sponsored Links
The door should line up and clear the lock keeps if its toe and heeled....strange :confused:

If you look under each hinge you should see an allen bolt, flick the caps off like one of your pictures show, the allen bolt pushes the stainless steel pin upwards thus lifting the door

We'll I believe its properly toe and heeled.

Any guidance there?

The hinge has two allen bolts, but neither move the door upwards.

Are these under the hinge pins as I pointed to in my reply?...pinenot

Just reposition the keeps if there's no height adjustment on the hinges.

Browny, generally on PVC doors and frames, the keeps are fixed.

But looking at the pics again, I think the lock bolts on the door are on eccentric cams, making them adjustable. Worth a look?...pinenot

Cast your eye along the door sill and have a squint to see if it is bowing upwards.

If not, take the glass out, lock the doors shut and re-fit the glass.

Pinenot, Looking at the pictures it looks like the cams are catching the top of the keeps when he closes the door. If he takes the keep off then reposition the keep 3 or 4mm lower that will give clearence for the cams.

I've speculated that the keeper are probably fixed, also not the best idea to make new holes so close to the originals, the plastic easily looses it's strength although it's feasible.

It's now up to Andy to let us know how thing stand with all the info he's had so far...pinenot

these look like "trojan" hinges so can be adjusted vertically with the allen key underneath when you wind it up it goes eliptically so goes up and inwards at same time so you can adjust for height and for hinge side compression give it a couple of turns you'll see it wont do anything for first turn because it will be taking up the free play in hinge pin the other allen bolt is for horizontal adjustment behind the face plate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back