Door Regulations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HELP, I am really puzzled about whether regulations exist for changing doors in our flat.

We live in a converted building (converted 20+ yrs ago) with 3 self contained flats. There is one large entrance and each flat has its on entrance.

I want to change both doors. The one into our flat is glazed firedoor and considered changing it. Can I get a regular door with Pyrodur glass instead of wired glass? Im fairly sure since most flats like this have firedoors i must have one??

Also the main door into the entrance lobby from outside. Does this need to meet any regulation standards? Some people have said we need a "quick-release" lock, but is that all? I had wanted something like on this page < http://www.doorshed.co.uk/bigpage/elegant_entrance/stately_elegant.php > is that suitable.

Finally any ideas where I might get these types of doors on t'internet?

Thanks Paul

Sponsored Links
Pham, I own a flat and it's not just Building regs you need to consider when changing things like doors. I'm wondering if your flat is leasehold or do you own a share of the freehold? If it's the former, you will need to get permission from the lessor to make changes to anything you don't own outright. For example, the lessor owns the main door to the building. Check your lease as to whether you own the main door to your flat. If you do, you may be able to change that, although it will have to be another fire door. You could have a solid door. Wired glass is popular in conversions because it's cheaper than other options.

If you have a management company, I suggest you get in touch with them and tell them your proposals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back