Door surrounds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have quite a few doors to line. Are there any considerations I should give when deciding what type of door surround I should fit, in terms of pine or hardwood? The doors themselves will either be oak or walnut vaneer.

Would it be okay to have MDF skirting and architrave but soft wood or hardwood door surrounds?

Also, if I was planning to install FD30 fire doors, is it mandatory to use special fire rated door surrounds or can I use normal hardwood?

Sponsored Links
Are you painting the door casing and skirting boards?

Designs of (production) fire rated internal doors are limited. Consider this when choosing. The casing will need to be fire rated and will have a rebate to accommodate the intumescent strip. You may also find the overall thickness of the door casing will be greater than standard, meaning your openings may need looking at too.
Are you including closers too?

Last edited:
Hi noseall

By door casing do you mean the door surrounds or architraves? I plan to paint the door architrave and skirting (if I end up choosing MDF).

We've been told by our BCO that we wont need the intumescent strips except for the doors between a ground floor room and garage. Same with closers, only on the garage to GF room.

Does that mean fire rated surrounds are optional then and not mandatory?

Sponsored Links
By door casing do you mean the door surrounds or architraves?
By door casing I'm referring to the thing you hang the door on which is either a casing or lining. What do you mean by 'surround'?

We've been told by our BCO that we wont need the intumescent strips except for the doors between a ground floor room and garage. Same with closers, only on the garage to GF room.

Does that mean fire rated surrounds are optional then and not mandatory?
I guess so. Why then opt for fire rated doors and limit your choice?

By door surrounds I mean door lining, yes.

Our BCO indicated that we should have FD30 doors on the newly converted loft room but he cannot force us to install it on the old loft rooms but would recommend it. But definitely need FD30+intumescent strips between garage and playroom.

We have a centre void going from the ground floor to the loft floor, not sure if that's why he's again recommending FD30 doors elsewhere otherwise we will have smoke alarms on the mains wire in each room anyway.

Back to the original question however, what is the upside of using hardwood casing/lining rather than softwood?

How is it prettier if it is painted white? Wont it look the same as softwood painted white?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back