Door trimming.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning guys,

I just wanted to ask a quick question RE internal door trimming,

I am looking at buying these:
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Marlow-Internal-Oak-Veneer-Door-4-Panel-1981x762mm/p/165758

It says that we can trim 10mm per side so a total of 20MM, now… two of my existing doors =
A) W 754 x H 1962
B) W 756 x H 1936

The width is all good we have ample (on paper) trimming depth but what about the heights, Door A will need 19MM Trim and door B will need 45MM trim, so with door B I guess that the base will need 35MM and 10MM of the top BUT is this safe to do? Will I loose rigidty of the door?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The width is all good we have ample (on paper) trimming depth but what about the heights, Door A will need 19MM Trim and door B will need 45MM trim, so with door B I guess that the base will need 35MM and 10MM of the top BUT is this safe to do? Will I loose rigidty of the door?
On a hollow eggbox core door like these you'll almost certainly be sawing off the glued-in edge lipping at the bottom. This can be reclaimed by stripping the facings off the trim piece, pushing the eggbox core in a bit to make space then glueing the wood strip back in place and finally trimming with a sharp plane once the glue has set. Not ideal, but nine times out of ten can be done

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back