Dormer Flat roof to pitched

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon all,

I'm looking for a little advice on whether planning permission would be required to convert a Dormer flat roof into a pitched roof.

Our property the red brick one shown below, the current idea is to build up the gable ends of the property and extend the Dormer roof the full length of the property. This however leaves us with a full length flat roof.

If we are extending the dormer in line with the gable ends, I'd prefer to do away with the flat roof completely. Could we run the roof from the current apex down to the top of the dormer. Creating a less pitched titled rear as per the photo of the white house below.

Would we require planning or just building regs as we're not going above the current roof line and theres only large field behind the new pitch.

I'm probably going to give local planning a call tomorrow to see what they say, just looking for advice to sell to them.

Thanks

Jim

20160904_093641.jpg
20160904_093641.jpg
20160904_152234.jpg

Sponsored Links
Ordinarily, you can build a dormer on the back without planning permission as long as the increase in roof volume is less than 50m³ (and a few other simple criteria are met).
But, if any part of the roof enlargement goes forward of any roof slope facing a highway, you would need p.p.
It's hard to tell from your description and pic.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back