Dot and dab in tiny bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I'm currently at the start of a diy bathroom re-fit all plumbing work will be carried out by the father in law who's a fully qualified plumber etc no electrical work required etc

I've taken the walls back to bare brick due to the old plaster not being fit to tile over and around where a new over the bath shower will be fitted I'll be tanking it all sufficiently.

One issue I didn't even think about was not being able to get 2400x1200 boards into the room. It's a small bathroom only 1800x1800 give or take a few mm i was all set to start boarding one wall tonight when I realised I couldn't get a board through the door no matter which way I twisted and turned it it's not going to fit in. I can't batten the room out and fix part boards that way due to the limited space (don't want to make the room any smaller!!) The only real option I have is to chop the boards in 2 and fit them that way on top of one another I'm probably going to have to fit a batten at the bottom to hold the board in position as the 2400 board leaves too much of a gap as I'm wanting to tile floor to ceiling.

Is it OK to fit 2 half boards on top of one another? Should I wait for the lower board to fully set before applying the higher board as you can probably tell I'm not a tradesman just a eager diyer. I've dot and dabbed another room in the house but the boards fit in nicely and I found it pretty straightforward with full vertical boards.

Is there anything I should be aware of when not fitting floor to ceiling full boards in one piece especially when tiling on top of them?

Sorry for the novel:)
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Yes you can. Just make sure you fully dab all the joins. Personally I don't use 8x4s anyway if I'm working on my own, and I don't have a van.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back