Double check my cable calcs please?

The ONLY time de-rating factors can be ignored is when they are not applicable to ANY part of the cable run.

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
I've always ignored drops from ceiling to accessory.
Do you know why you ignore it?

Would you then, for instance, quote ref method 3 for a circuit comprising of 25M of cable clipped direct with a drop in trunking to an accessory being around 1.5M?
Going by your reply I take it you would opt for ref method 3?

ricicle said:
The ONLY time de-rating factors can be ignored is when they are not applicable to ANY part of the cable run.

Fair point which I'll now take onboard.

Sponsored Links
GaryMo said:
Softus said:
Do you know why you ignore it?
Would you then, for instance, quote ref method 3 for a circuit comprising of 25M of cable clipped direct with a drop in trunking to an accessory being around 1.5M?
Going by your reply I take it you would opt for ref method 3?
Do you always answer a question with a question?

Or do you always answer four questions with two questions?

GaryMo said:
ricicle said:
How on earth was it ever off-board?

Have you been over-rating the cable you've installed? :eek:

Softus said:
GaryMo said:
ricicle said:
How on earth was it ever off-board?

Standard circuits where I would use a small amount of trunking or conduit.

32A RFC using 2 x 2.5 6242Y
20A radial using 1 x 2.5 6242Y

Method 1 - 27A
Method 3 - 23A

6A Lighting circuit using 1.5 6242Y

Method 1 - 19.5A
Method 3 - 16.5A

I doubt there would be any potential issues on the above circuits should 1.5M of conduit or trunking be used, for example, drops within garages.
Temperature at 30 degrees, no thermal insulation or grouping to take into account.

About the only thing I may be guilty of is putting method 1 instead of method 3 on an EIC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back