Double dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to wire a double dimmer and have no clue as to where the wires go, can the forum please help.
I have tried to make the solution as simple as possible.
can some pair up the numbers from old switch to new switch please, see images, also where do I run the loop to on the new switch

example

5-10
2-9

thanks
20160425_134920.jpg
20160425_135328.jpg
STICK MAN.jpg

Sponsored Links
Not sure you can! The wave form with a arrow though it often means it is designed to work with another switch as a two way with slave and master. My first action would be to read the instructions that came with the new switch. Until I am certain about what if anything goes into the wave form with arrow terminal I would not try fitting it.

Not sure you can! The wave form with a arrow though it often means it is designed to work with another switch as a two way with slave and master. My first action would be to read the instructions that came with the new switch. Until I am certain about what if anything goes into the wave form with arrow terminal I would not try fitting it.
Ah, this has got to work,it is designed for a double light switch. Has someone any solution?

Wavy line with arrow through it is the same as 7 & 8.

9 & 11 go into L1, 1 wire in each.

Sponsored Links
Before you do anything , are the earth wires, the new switch has a metal front and there foe MUST be earthed. If there is no effective earth wire(s) then you cannon fit a metal froneted switch / dimmer

7 and 8 are the Live feed to the two switches and the Live feed onto other switches.

9 and 11 are the switched Lives to the lamps.

Note which wire goes to whch teminal before disconnecting them

If the new switches follow convention then 1 and 6 connect to one side of the dimmer module. The other side of the dimmer module 1 goes to either 2 or 3 depending on the switch and the other side of dimmer module 6 goes to either 4 or 5 depending on the switch.

So replace 7 with 1 and replace 8 with 6

Replace 9 with 2 and replace 11 with 4

If the switches are upside down then use 3 instead of 2 and/or use 5 instead of 4.

The wave form with a arrow though it often means it is designed to work with another switch as a two way with slave and master.
It does not. On the Schneider dimmers the wave/arrow is the same as the COM terminal. Also you can use these dimmers in a 2-way circuit with a standard switch at the other end.

I did look for an instruction sheet. I could find the wavy line with arrow, but other terminals did not match. Often a S terminal, but as I looked at different PDF sheets it seemed different manufactures used the wavy line with arrow to mean different things. However I have never bought a switch which did not have an instruction sheet supplied with the switch. And I am sure some where the switch has a part number and a simple google would bring up the correct instructions.
upload_2016-4-25_23-21-57.png
In the end I did find an instructions set. And yes the wave form with arrow is Common however what are the bets that the poster knew this anyway with the instructions that came with the switch.
upload_2016-4-25_23-27-46.png
upload_2016-4-25_23-28-16.png
Were given on the same sheet, but before my hunt got switches with S and RS terminals with some odd wiring diagrams.
upload_2016-4-25_23-35-52.png
This is rather different to normal wiring and I have seen one where connection to mains on one terminal can destroy the switch. I just don't believe the switch came without instructions?

I did look for an instruction sheet. I could find the wavy line with arrow, but other terminals did not match. Often a S terminal, but as I looked at different PDF sheets it seemed different manufactures used the wavy line with arrow to mean different things.
Has anyone here ever known that to mean the slave connection for a master/salve dimmer combination?

Yes - a 2-way implementation, but with a switch, not another dimmer.

before my hunt got switches with S and RS terminals with some odd wiring diagrams.
In what way odd, if RS stands for "retractive switch"?

This is rather different to normal wiring
Looks perfectly normal for the wiring of master/slave dimmers, or master dimmers used with retractive switches.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my thread, I will take the knowledge and use it. May the force be with you all(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back