Double drive screwdriver

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
From Aldi.

A bit hard to explain, but it's a ratchet driver and it rotates in the same forward or reverse direction with both the forward and reverse rotation of your hand - making it twice as fast or efficient.

W42_PD_Thursday_New_UK45_0a2cc46fdb.jpg

Sponsored Links
geared or spiral drive like a twin thread screw twice as fast ??

Could see that being a problem as clockwise tightening of a screw means pressure tends to be released on the anti-clockwise movement which with this driver could cause a lot of cam out problems.
It would not make much difference to the speed of fixing as anticlockwise movement with no torque only takes a fraction of a second with a conventional driver.

I've got a Stanley Yankee hand drill that does something similar. You can set the ratchet to do various things including continuous drilling whichever way you turn the handle.

Sponsored Links
I've noticed that there is a Stanley Fatmax version that claims 4x speed. If it's the same principle, then it would be worth buying.

Stanley Yankee hand drill

Do you mean the Yankee screwdriver from the old days?

I still have mine, almost as new, as I got it not looking before I got my first cordless drill, so it got little use.

Stanley Yankee hand drill

Do you mean the Yankee screwdriver from the old days?

I still have mine, almost as new, as I got it not looking before I got my first cordless drill, so it got little use.

No it's an old fashioned hand drill. Same type as this one on Flickr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/9795979@N06/1469335473

Looking for the photo, I found some other stuff. It's probably not a "Stanley Yankee" as I said but just a "Yankee" brand, which was taken over by Stanley.

It's quite clever, you can oscillate the handle back and forth and it will keep drilling. I've used it occasionally in confined spaces, as you can get in very close in to an inside corner with it.

I've still got my Yankee screwdrivers too. Not much used these days.

I'd not seen a hand drill with that ratchet mechanism before. That could be very useful.

It is on occasion. The drill's quite a bit narrower than a modern drill with smaller chuck. I inherited it, and I'd never seen one before that either.
As I said I've been looking at it, It is a "Yankee" made by "North Brothers Manufacturing Co." They apparently sold to Stanley in 1947.
Last patent on it is 1913. I'd guess it was made between the wars.
Must be a similar type of mechanism to the screwdriver, with a geared drive and ratcheted pinions which drive the business end in turn.
Thanks for the original post. I might get one of those screwdrivers. I'm a sucker for gadgets!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back