double electric oven and seperate induction hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick question.

Would I need to have two mains feeds from the consumer unit to power this set up?

There is currently one feed to the exisiting electric cooker/gas hob and I can't understand why I need another one for the proposed seperate hob. If the two appliances were in a combined cooker/hob then I would only be using one, wouldn't I? Am I missing something here?

Sponsored Links
Depends on the rating of the appliances and the existing feeds, and the proposed usage.

You might have to have 2 separate switches depending on the layout of the kitchen.

Would I need to have two mains feeds from the consumer unit to power this set up? ... There is currently one feed to the exisiting electric cooker/gas hob and I can't understand why I need another one for the proposed seperate hob. If the two appliances were in a combined cooker/hob then I would only be using one, wouldn't I? Am I missing something here?
It's not a question of how many feeds, but the adequacy of it/them. If one supply were adequate (in terms of cable size etc.) to supply the new oven and hob, that would be fine. Your current electricity demand (presumably just the electric oven) will be much less than it will be for the new oven + hob (the hob would take much more than an oven), but we can't tell you whether the present supply would be adequate for the new appliances. If it were not, you'd either have to have a second supply installed or else have the existing one upgraded (larger cable etc.).

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for the replies.

Either way it means having floorboards/carpets up to upgrade the existing, or add another cable. Don't fancy that so will go with plan B, electric double oven and a gas hob.

I would have liked one of those fancy induction hobs though, oh well.

:rolleyes:

What I don't understand is that I could have just bought a double electric oven with an electric hob on it, as you do. The existing wiring would/should be OK for that or do all houses have to be re-wired if the owners buy such an appliance? Seems odd to me.

Sponsored Links
But you haven't told us what installation you have and what you intend to buy.

It MAY be alright but we can't just say "Yes" with NO details.

What information do you need in order to say yes or no? I'll try to find it out.

That is true from the wording of the original question.

However, with the circuit characteristics determined a limit for the appliances which may be purchased can be given.

Whether it is possible to increase the circuit capacity for larger appliances will be difficult to say on the forum.

The circuit has a fuse of 45A at the consumer unit. The cable size is not known - how do I find that out? The outer cable sheath seems to be 10mm x 16mm, but that's quite rudimentary measuring with a tape measure.

The double oven is a Zanussi ZOD35702BK that requires a 30A fuse rating according to the spec.
Spec also says:
Energy Consumption (Main Oven) 0.79 Kwh
Energy Consumption (Second Oven) 0.79 Kwh
Electrical Connection 4.9 KW

The hob was going to be an INDESIT VIX644 CE, but I can't find any information regarding power consumption.

Hi

Can anybody help. I am planning some leckie work in a friends house and he is having two 3650W ovens and one 6600w hob. They are quite close together (less than 2 mtrs). There is currently a 10mm feed running from a 45 amp fuse at the consumer unit. By law will i have to add another circuit?

Cheers

The circuit has a fuse of 45A at the consumer unit. The cable size is not known - how do I find that out? The outer cable sheath seems to be 10mm x 16mm, but that's quite rudimentary measuring with a tape measure.
Have you seen the cable size page I linked.

If you are correct it would appear to be 10mm² which would be fine but please make sure.

The double oven is a Zanussi ZOD35702BK that requires a 30A fuse rating according to the spec.
Spec also says:
Energy Consumption (Main Oven) 0.79 Kwh
Energy Consumption (Second Oven) 0.79 Kwh
Electrical Connection 4.9 KW
4.9kW is only 20.4A.

The hob was going to be an INDESIT VIX644 CE, but I can't find any information regarding power consumption.
Neither can I.

However, if you do have a 45A breaker and 10mm² cable you can virtually connect any domestic oven and hob to the circuit.

I will see if I can find some details.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back