Double-glazed units misting up problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our double glazing is about 11 - 12 years old and a number of glass units are now misting up (yeah, just after the 10yr warranty expires!), it is going to cost an arm and a leg to replace all the units that need replacing - which I just can't afford right now.

I have since seen ads for services that will de-mist your double-glazing. I am wondering if anyone has any experience of these services and their cost.

Sponsored Links
They don't work long term ie more than 6 months or so, they are not a long term fix, just another con like roof painting. This has been done to death on the forum. Save up and replace them. Shouldn't cost too much, shop around for the replacement units and consider changing them yourself. About 10 years is right for the existing units and BTW the units are never under a 10 year warranty only the frames/hinges etc.

I must have got a good deal then, two large windows in my house misted up, one after 8 one after 9 years and they replaced them and a door lock they discovered was a bit too loose!

They don't work long term ie more than 6 months or so, they are not a long term fix, just another con like roof painting. This has been done to death on the forum. Save up and replace them. Shouldn't cost too much, shop around for the replacement units and consider changing them yourself. About 10 years is right for the existing units and BTW the units are never under a 10 year warranty only the frames/hinges etc.
My company does a 10 year warranty on the glass.....but we only get a 5 year one from our glass supplier!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your input.

I am inclined to think that double-glazing is a bit of a con when you conside the costs involved.

My bro-in-law has two huge sliding doors on the back of his house which I would guess that going by the estimates I have, will cost him in excess of £6K to replace ......... every ten years?!?!?!?!

Can you imagine waking up one morning and finding a hole in your wall - the builder says "Well, it's been ten years now" and then discovering that whilst the bricks are covered by the warranty the mortar isn't :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back