Double glazed units misting-up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had windows replaced 15 years ago, in UPVC frames. In one of the two adjoining bathrooms, both facing south, all three units - fixed, opening casement and fanlight - are slowly misting-up inside. No other units in the house are. Is this just a coincidence, or would it be anything to do with the use of the bathroom itself? It does sometimes get used for drying clothes, but windows are usually open then. Bit baffling to me. Any advice appreciated, thank you.

Sponsored Links
If the misting is inside the units i would guess the seals have gone on them, if its just on the glass surface then its most likely water marks so give it a clean with some vinegar.

I had windows replaced 15 years ago, in UPVC frames. In one of the two adjoining bathrooms, both facing south, all three units - fixed, opening casement and fanlight - are slowly misting-up inside. No other units in the house are. Is this just a coincidence, or would it be anything to do with the use of the bathroom itself? It does sometimes get used for drying clothes, but windows are usually open then. Bit baffling to me. Any advice appreciated, thank you.

If you mean they are misting up in the cavity then the units have failed, why is anyones guess, it could loads of things, a combination of some or just bad luck. If when you say 'misting on the inside' you mean the inside pane facing the bathroom then its probably condensation, its a bathroom and you dry clothes in there too, two classic causes :cry:

Condensation inside the sealed unit means air has entered the sealed unit and has to be replaced. It could be just the way the glass was installed on the day with incorrect / miss aligned glass packers eventually damaging the seal? Or a manufacture issue? An old fashioned hot melt black spacer bar could in time crack and let moisture in?

Hope this helps

Cwyn

Sponsored Links
I had windows replaced 15 years ago, in UPVC frames.
South facing is always going to be the most severe of environments for anything including sealed DG units. If the condensation is between the panes then the units have failed but at 15 years you’ve done fairly well; my sisters failed at 17 years. Why do you think almost any guarantee is only for 10 years. ;)

If the condensation is on the inside pane, provide better ventilation (do you have extract fans?) & stop drying your washing in the house, it’s a recipe for condensation, mould growth & repertory problems! :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back