double glazing cracking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I've recently moved into a refurbished flat. since moving in 2 windows have spontaneously cracked. On the first one it started on the edge and worked it's way across the window. The second one hasn't gone all the way across.
What could have caused this? It wasn't bad removal men as it started after the move.

Sponsored Links
another thought is settlement or movement
is there any cracks or signs off movement

What type of window, seen sash windows crack after bodged fitting of lock , too long a screw was used to secure and it penetrated the frame and cracked window.

Sponsored Links
I was worrying that my landlord would insist that I had damaged the windows but the thermal theory sounds right. We had that really cold weather earlier this year and I had the heat up.

The windows are on opposite elevations and no signs on new paint of any distress on walls or ceiling.

I had thought that it was bad installation (as one window has internal condensation) and the cracks start from the edge of the windows. I just didn't think that would be much of a defence as the windows had been installed for some time.

Thank you again to everyone who responded.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back