Double Glazing - outside surface misting up

Raybeas said:
Is there something that can be wiped over the glass?

Mine has also been particularly bad the last couple of mornings but it usually clears by around 09.30. Has anyone tried the stay clean stuff that's supposed to keep the rain & dirt off the outside of the glass; it's usually sold at exhibitions - Ideal Home Show etc.

Sponsored Links
Hi
I have had new windows from safestyle
and I cannot agree with double glazing statement about ventilation. I have all my windows open and window in the bathroom does not mist up, but the two front rooms do one in a large hall and 1 in a large bedroom
I have tried it also with the windows closed but to no avail. We really buy windows to see out of them, and my old units did just that, so common why do they really mist up

If they are misting on the inside then more ventilation, if it's on the outside then there's nothing you can do as it's doing the job which means that your windows are insulating correctly

I had 19 units replaced at the front of our house a couple of months ago using K glass. I wish that someone had warned me that I wouldn't be able to see out of any of them until after lunchtime!! I was given a brochure extolling the virtues of K glass before I gave the installer the go ahead, but nowhere did it mention this very annoying problem.
I rather feel that there must be a 'fit for purpose' claim here. Windows are for letting light in, and seeing out of!!

Sponsored Links
I had 19 units replaced at the front of our house a couple of months ago using K glass. I wish that someone had warned me that I wouldn't be able to see out of any of them until after lunchtime!! I was given a brochure extolling the virtues of K glass before I gave the installer the go ahead, but nowhere did it mention this very annoying problem.
I rather feel that there must be a 'fit for purpose' claim here. Windows are for letting light in, and seeing out of!!

Hello.
Exactly. I am experiencing the same problem. Over the past 8 years we have been replacing the rotten wooden frames in my 3 storey property built in 2003. Up until September this year the installer has replaced 5 windows; the last in 2007. In September 2011 we had 3 more windows replaced and all 3 suffer from the problem of misting up externally. Of the previous work carried out none suffer from this problem. I have noticed that the later work uses a slightly wider space between the glass presumably because it is more efficient.

These newer windows may well be more efficient however had we known of the impact on our ability to actually look out of our windows (we have nice views) then we would have sought an alternative solution.

Not impressed!
Regards
vectra1

Hi, I've had this problem since I had new replacement glazed units fitted in my porch. Although the porch has no heat source, the units which were in previously did not mist on the outside at all like the new ones do. The only difference being that the new ones are K glass and the old ones weren't. The main problem is in winter, the misting freezes and I can't see out for days some times unless the ice is scraped off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back